With 2021 just a month away, it’s time to start thinking about those New Year’s resolutions and a perfect time to re-evaluate your personal fitness goals. If you’re a novice runner, an advanced runner, or even a member of a local gym, the approaching New Year is a great time to set short- and long-term goals for yourself. Whether it’s for weight loss or to improve your 5K run time, personal goals will keep you on track. Here are five tips for maximizing your resolutions this year:
- Set three measurable personal short-term goals (one- to two-month periods) and three long-term goals to accomplish next year. Remember to reward yourself with personal tokens, such as a massage or a new workout outfit.
- Chart your progress and goals by using a running log or calendar. Visualizing your accomplishments will provide support, reassurance, and motivation to keep achieving those goals.
- Keep a regular schedule. This helps maintain normalcy in your life by designating that time of day as “your own personal workout time.” Whether it’s with a running group or a workout companion, a schedule will help regulate your busy lifestyle and help you reach your personal goals.
- Develop a fitness/exercise consciousness. Running or working out is just like brushing your teeth daily to help maintain your personal health. Make exercise a part of your daily routine.
- Inspire a friend, family member, or coworker to join you for a run, walk, or an hour at the gym. You can make a difference in your life and their life. By motivating someone else, you are motivating yourself to be a role model, and believe me, it’s contagious.
Amanda Manthey is a former collegiate runner for Eastern Michigan University. She writes about running and fitness for Dave’s Running Shop.
Don’t miss Dave’s races!
Runners, get ready to “take your mark” in this exciting community event sponsored by Dave’s Running Shop. For more information, please visit davesrunning.com.
Miracle on Main Street 5K
Saturday, December 5, 2020, 4:00 p.m. (Santa’s Little Helper Kids Dash at 5:00 p.m.) at 5651 Main St., Downtown Sylvania, Ohio.
Join us for historic downtown Sylvania’s “Miracle on Main Street 5k” and Santa’s Little Helper Kids Dash. Immediately following the race is the annual Christmas parade and tree-lighting ceremony.
The course is an out-and-back course with a loop through a neighborhood. Starting in downtown Sylvania, runners will head north to Erie Street, west to San Reno for a neighborhood loop, then back Erie to a downtown Sylvania finish.